Tru-Blue II Hardness Tester
In 1984, United began production of the Tru-Blue I, an all scale, computer-controlled Rockwell hardness tester utilizing a precision load cell for force application. With our second generation Rockwell tester, the Tru-Blue II, improvements were made by incorporating advanced electronics, improved hardware and enhanced software options.
United is proud to say that the Tru-Blue II is manufactured at our Huntington Beach, California manufacturing facility. Using local machining, sheet metal fabrication and coating companies allows us to deliver orders in a prompt manner.
The Tru-blue II meets ASTM E18 and ISO 6508 specifications and NIST recommendations. All newly manufactured Tru-Blue II’s come with a Direct certification of the hardware calibration with NIST traceability.
Standards: ASTM E18 Metals, ASTM E140, ASTM A370, ISO 6508 Metals.
View the Tru-Blue II Informational Brochure PDF here:
Every Tru-Blue tester purchased allows United to support local US businesses:
Various Electronic Components
Published by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the Recommended Practice Guide, Rockwell Hardness Measurement of Metallic Materials, is essential reading for anyone concerned with hardness testing.
Written by Samuel R. Low of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, this book contains detailed information on everything related to Rockwell Hardness testing, from test procedures to references for test block standards to direct and indirect verifications. This publication resolves several questions including the following:
- How often should indirect verification be performed? (Page 54)
- Should my hardness tester be “Directly Verified”? (Page 44)
- Should machine hysteresis be checked? (Page 45)
- How does the test cycle time affect hardness readings? (Page 27)
- What about force verification? (Page 45)
- What happens if the machine forces are adjusted? (Page 45)
Download the complete on-line version of this publication (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader). To order the print version, please contact United Calibration Corporation at (714) 638-2322 or FAX (714) 897-8496. We will be glad to mail you a copy free of charge.
Tru-Blue II Features
- 15 Superficial scales
- 15 Regular scales
- 5 preset load dwell times including plastics
- Computer controlled application of loads (closed-loop)
- Force measured via load cell
- Display resolution: points, tenths and hundredths
- Serial, Parallel for Dot Matrix printing, & PS/2 keyboard connections
- Display statistics: Avg, Range, Min/Max, Std deviation and Number of tests
- 4×20 VF display
- Automatic cylindrical part correction
- Scale to scale conversion
- Parts GOOD/NO GOOD
- Bi-directional testing capability
- Removable parts clamping device
- Factory direct certification: Depth, load, hysteresis & timing
- Factory indirect certification: B, C, 30N & 30T. Additional scales available (Relevant indenters/anvils must be provided)
- CE approved
- 2-year factory warranty
- Vertical testing capacities: 10, 14, 18 & 20 inches. Custom vertical heights available
- Throat depth: 5.5 in. (standard) 9.5 in. (optional)
- 110-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz. Single phase, 2 amp
Accessories & Info
View our catalog of parts and accessories for the Tru-Blue II
Rockwell, Brinell and Micro hardness test blocks:
All test blocks come with a certification sheet containing all the necessary calibration information.
Rockwell test blocks can be ordered with a “circle grid” pattern for an additional fee
Rockwell diamond indenters:
Scales A, C, N and C/N combo indenters. All diamond indenters come with certifications.
Carbide ball indenters:
1/16, 1/8, ¼ and ½ inch. 2.5, 5 and 10mm.
Anvils and support devices:
Spots, flats, “V”, Vari and Jack rests.
2 inch roll mini serial and parallel printers
Stationary and mobile stands
Foot switch to activate test cycle
Mini PS/2 keyboard
Flexible LED lamp
Tru-Blue II Videos
United Tru-Blue II Hardness Tester:
Choice Of The Very Best!
Video clip of a Tru-Blue II being used in an episode of CSI.
Testers installed on our mobile stands do not require recalibration when moved,
as our Tru-Blue II is designed to withstand movement.
Demonstration of the removable clamping device, a standard accessory of the Tru-Blue II.
Tru-Blue II Mobile Stand
The mobile floor stand allows the end user to move the tester easily to mulitple locations. Mounting of the tester to the stand is required for safe movement. Setup is performed by disconnecting and re-connecting of the AC power cable. The Tru-Blue II tester is not required to be re-certified, only to be pre-checked on the selected scales to be used.
Note: please see ASTM E18 table A1.1 “Verification schedule for a Rockwell Testing Machine”. The Tru-Blue II is designed to be moved without recalibration!